The Big Four Bridge is a connect between Louisville, Kentucky and Jeffersonville, Indiana across the Ohio River. It is a six span railroad truss bridge and was built in 1895 and named after the Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago and St. Louis Railway. It’s total length spans 2,525 feet. It has been nicknamed “The Bridge That Goes Nowhere” since 1969 due to the ramps being removed. In the 1990’s it was being considered for a shopping mall, but investors backed out.
In February 2013, the Louisville side opened up for walking and bicycling on the bridge. But, due to laws in Indiana insisting that there be lights on the bridge, the Indiana side has remained closed. The Mayor of Jeffersonville, Indiana has gotten temporary lighting and barricades up so that the Indiana side can open up in time for the Kentucky Derby Festival‘s Great Steamboat Race. Since Louisville’s side has opened up in February of 2013, a half a million of pedestrians and 75,00o bicyclists have gone across and turn around at the barricaded Indiana side. This will be a great boon in tourists to Jeffersonville during the Derby Festival here in Louisville.
The Kentucky side comes into the Waterfront Park which stays open until 11:oo pm. The Indiana side comes into the historic downtown Jeffersonville and is due to open April 30, 2014. Just a few weeks away and we will be trekking across the river.