Every once in a blue moon, I have a bout of gout in my shoulder. It is excruciating pain and then the inflammation gets so bad, I cannot lie down to sleep (or lie down at all). I have a bum shoulder, as I call it… an arthritic shoulder from doing manual labor and hauling everything I can hoist onto my shoulder.
Unbeknownst to me, this is improper body mechanics. I have always had broad shoulders and a strong back, so I made use of them. Now, I am paying for that and other stupid things I did when I was young, like anorexia. Trying to get myself in better health overall, but have setbacks when the shoulder flares up. Part of the problem is my weight. Another part is my love of mushrooms, bread and, until recently, my addiction to soda. Since stopping sugar, the soda part has not been an issue. Now, I am day four of this round and feeling better; actually was able to lie down and sleep and so I did… all day, practically. It is a learning process on how to deal with this naturally, as I do not use western medicine whenever possible. Here is what you need to know if you suffer from the same thing.
1. High diet in purines increases uric acid because your body cannot flush them. Foods high in purines are red meat, anchovies, organ meats, sardines, sweetbreads, bacon, cauliflower, chicken, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, mushrooms, oatmeal, shellfish, lobster, perch, salmon, trout, tuna, spinach, etc.
2. Avoid high fructose syrup
3. Limit alcohol
4. Decrease Inflammation by eating cherries, blueberries, strawberries and pineapple. Bromelain blocks the proteins in the inflammation cycle.
5. Lose weight gradually; quick fixes actually increase uric acid.
6. Stay hydrated to flush out uric acid.
7. Lower your acidity with apples, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, tart cherry juice and lemons
8. Be proactive, do not wait for a flare up. ( I know this and yet I forget it; maybe someone else will listen)